Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Kalk Bay, Fish Hoek and the Cape Argus

I know I have not written in my blog for quite some time so now I want to catch up on all my new adventures! The weekend of 9-10-11 March was great, it was Peter’s last weekend here and he requested to go to the beach, so on Saturday morning after Elizabeth and I went to this “mystic fair” (they were actual fortune tellers at the fair, it was sooo funny) we picked up Peter and headed to the Indian Ocean to Fish Hoek. It is a very small, quiet beach, very pretty and pleasant. We soaked up the sun for some hours and then we went to this amazing seafood restaurant in Kalk Bay.
Kalk Bay is where all the fishermen go and take their daily catch, you can get really good fish here.
Sunday morning we woke up and it was the Cape Argus! The largest cycling event in the country and one of the most famous of the world. It was great! Sanja (my friend from here) did it in her record time: 3 hrs for about 180 km. I was very proud of her, it is the 4th year she does it and she has been training for almost a year. The Argus is very cool because you get to see all of these amazing views of the Cape Peninsula and the whole city is closed, about 40,000 people participate and it is pretty amazing, everyone talks about this and they were bikes all over the city, actually the Argus took over Cape Town for that whole day.
After the race there are some tents where they sell food, where people can rest and even get massages, the end of the race (where all the tents were) was 3 blocks away from my house so Elizabeth and I went just for curiosity and it was FULL of people. I wish I had known about this before I got here, maybe I would have liked to participate since it is such a fun thing to do, but I needed to train for about a year and if I had known that before maybe it would have been fun to do it…

No comments: