Monday, March 5, 2007

Castle of Good Hope




Yesterday Elizabeth, her friend Jessi from Canada and Moses her friend from Jo'burg and I were going to hike Table Mountain, a 4 hour hike and come down in the Cable Car. Well, unfortunately the weather was HORRIBLE, it was super cold and it would not stop raining, so we had to find something else to do. Why not just go and spend the day at a museum? The Castle of Good Hope is the oldest building in the Cape Peninsula (Well maybe the oldest European building...) it was built in 1666 for the headquarters of the Dutch East India Company and it is built with brick the Dutch brought from Holland.
I was impressed by the austerity of the Castle, I though it was going to be a lot more imposing. Anyway, it still has a very "colonizer" feeling to it. The artifacts and decorations are all imported Dutch things from those times, very old.. I understand why women stayed at home, they had to do so many things! they did not have microwaves, or electrical appliances such as washing machines and other stuff.. I feel so lucky that nowadays women can just do housework and also find a real job and get away with doing both... cause housework does not have to take them all day long..
Well, the Castle is OK, not the best place in Cape Town, but indeed a must see. So I can check that off my to do things list.... I guess if the weather is nice next weekend I can hike Table Mountain! I definitely hope so...

No comments: