He was imprisoned there for 11 years and when someone in the group ask him how he felt about giving the tour and reviving all these memories. He said that all his life he had fought for a free South Africa, in which all men were equal and he was imprisoned many years for standing up to his convictions. But now history proved him right, and he was honored to give these tours to the new faces of South Africa, a rainbow nation, and that yes, he lived difficult times in Robben Island but that he is living the principles of forgiveness and reconciliation. Hatred will not take us anywhere, he said. I think that my trip to Robben Island was definitely worth it and I would recommend this trip to anyone that comes here, it represents a lot of the history of this country.
Oh, and if someone is interested in reading about the whole struggle read LONG WALK TO FREEDOM, by Nelson Mandela.
This is a quote from Ahmed Kathrada ( I talked about him before in the blog) its in the museum before you take the ferry to the island.
No comments:
Post a Comment