Friday, April 13, 2007

Grootbos

The last weekend I spent it with Sanja at her house. Her family owns a hotel that it is also a private nature reserve.. the place is AMAZING! I never thought it would be sooo nice.. they have all natural indigenous species in the reserve, the fynbos (which is an ecosystem that has many many species of low plants) is one of the most well conserved in South Africa. It is so interesting because last year they had a fire, and everyone thought that it would all be burnt and devastated, but on the other hand... something amazing happened, the fynbos can only be regenerated by a fire... the Protea Flower Seed (one of the most pretty flowers of the fynbos) can only grow after a fire! so this year was the year that the whole mountain flowered and it looked amazing!
Also at Grootbos they have many things to do, you can hike, go whale watching (on whale season), white shark cage diving, horse back riding, or airplane riding... Since I went to visit Sanja we spent some time at her house, but I also went to the beach and saw mussels (I got very excited cause I had never seen mussels in their natural habitat) and then I also took an amazing airplane ride, from above I saw a great white shark and also about 200 dolphins swimming together.. it was very awesome.
I am really lucky that I had the opportunity to go to Gansbaai and stay at Grootbos... if you want to check out the website of the hotel it is www.grootbos.com
To see the pictures of the airplane ride go to this link:
airplane ride in Gansbaai

No comments: