Yesterday was my first day at the office, everyone is great and I am very excited about working here. Peter (an intern from Boston) is leaving in a couple weeks so I will be taking over his job of fundraising in the mornings. In the afternoons I will be going to Nyanga (one of the Townships where the Amy Biehl Foundation works) and I will be doing different activities with the kids. The main problem is that I got the 3, 4 and 5 year olds that do not know how to speak English. They only speak Xhosa, I cannot understand a thing they say, and yesterday at least 3 could not stop crying, it was hillarious.. anyway, I guess its going to be great!
The township is very poor, and it is such a contrast with the wealth of Cape Town. Really there are million dollar houses and apartments beachfront, many mansions and fancy cars, and then you go out of the city for 5 minutes and you see how these people live in the worst conditions. But at least running water is drinkable! not like Mexico, you can drink water out of the tap everywhere, even in the Townships. Which I think THAT IS amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment