Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Stars and Safaris and other stuff


When I was young and I watched the Lion King I had this really romantic image of Africa. You know, I thought that I would be able to hug little lions and hug the giraffes and zebras that would be wondering around… anyway I was 10 years old and didn’t know better…
Now that I am actually here and I see how things really are it could be further from the truth. I have to admit that Cape Town is even more modern than Merida (hate to tell you this Merida people… I know you hate it…) but really! And the whole animal thing is usually only for tourists... the people at the Foundation have never seen any of THE BIG 5 that are advertised everywhere as the “main attractions”… they have never been in a safari, and never will… safaris are sooo expensive, just getting in to a park for a day is about 100 dollars and this does not include the guided tour, the accommodation, the food… its ridiculous!! The media and the tourist companies have put these ideas in our head that Africa is all about the big animals that you see wondering around… but no. Hate to tell you but they are all in National Parks…
Also, in the Lion King I remember that at night he could see many stars, and this IS true about Africa. Since we are in the Southern Hemisphere, there is less light pollution (I had never heard this term before but it makes sense) there are far more cities in the Northern Hemisphere and this is why you can see so many starts here, its amazing. You can actually see the milky-way, and even another galaxy! It looks like a big blur but it’s amazing!!

No comments: